Nestled in the picturesque Finger Lakes region of New York, Sonnenberg Gardens is a New York State Historic Park offering one of the few remaining estates in the U.S. with a Queen Anne-style mansion and formal gardens.
Built in 1887, Sonnenberg’s 40-room Mansion offers visitors a glimpse of what life was like in the late nineteenth century. Along with 17 other structures across the 50-acre property, the estate boasts nine formal gardens representing many cultures and historic periods including 12th-century Asia, 4th-century Rome and the French Renaissance. A 20-acre arboretum of rare and exotic trees, plants and unique landscapes stretches across the grounds, while a Lord & Burnham wood-and-glass greenhouse complex of the Victorian period features varieties of orchids, succulents, tropical plants and flowers, as well as vegetables.
Sonnenberg Gardens & Mansion State Historic Park is one of the nation’s most extensively preserved country estates from the Victorian era. This 50 acre site features beautiful formal and informal gardens, a historic mansion, the Lord & Burnham greenhouse complex and beautiful views of Canandaigua Lake. Sonnenberg’s magnificent Queen Anne style mansion, the former summer home of Frederick Ferris and Mary Clark Thompson, was built in 1887. The surrounding gardens were developed between 1902 and 1920 and reflect a variety of styles, including Victorian, Italian, Colonial, and Japanese influences.
Located in the heart of New York’s Finger Lakes wine region, the historic park is also home to the Finger Lakes Wine Center. This facility is open to the public during the Sonnenberg garden season; visitors may also enjoy tasting tours and private parties.Sonnenberg Gardens & Mansion State Historic Park is the perfect place for a wedding or other family gatherings. The site hosts a variety of popular events throughout the season, including the annual Orchid Show, Rose Week, Moonlight Strolls, Teddy Bear Party and the annual Arts At The Gardens show. Tours of both the gardens and the mansion are also available from May through September.
2011 Calendar of Events at Sonnenberg
- June 5: Grand Reopening Celebration NYS residents admitted for free.
- June 13: Roses & Rosès Wine & Dine Gala 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM, Advance: $30 pp, Sonnenberg Member 2/$45, $40 pp at door.
- June 19: Father’s Day Car & Motorcycle Cruise Classic Cars, music, prizes and more! Included with regular admission.
- July 1, 8, 15, 22, & 29: Moonlight Stroll Music Series 8:00 PM -10:00 PM each Friday night, rain or shine. Gates Open at 7:30 p.m. This year’s line-up will include the 198th Army Division Band on July 1 (Patriotic/Big Band), Flower City Orchestra on July 8 (Ragtime Jazz), Tullamore Celtic Band & Drumcliffe School of Dance on July 15, Rochester Metropolitan Jazz Orchestra on July 22, and Angelicus String Quartet on July 29. Wine-by-glass, light refreshments, horse & carriage rides available, $9/adults, $7/members, $4 youth 6-17, FREE for kids 5 and under. Bring your folding lawn chairs and picnic blankets! The Gardens are Lit Again!
- July 4: Celebrate Canandaigua Day NYS residents admitted for $1.
- July 19: Card Game Party & Luncheon Play starts at 10 AM, $35 pp, $30 pp for a table of 4.
- August 1-5: Sonnenberg & Granger Homestead Historical Adventure Day Camp 9:00 AM – Noon each day. Advance registration required.
- August 4, 11, 18, 25: Thursday Teas By the Friends of Sonnenberg, 12:30 PM, 3 PM Seatings, $20 pp, $17.50 pp/Sonnenberg Members OR Group of 10+, $8 pp ages 4-12, Prepaid Reservations Required.
- August 13: Asian Arts & Cultural Festival Included with regular admission.
- August 20 & 21: Arts at the Gardens 10 AM—5 PM, Special $6/entry. Featuring select fine arts and fine crafts from around the country. 100 exhibitors, Beer & Wine Garden, Art Raffle Tent, food, and opportunities for self-guided walks in the outlying gardens and mansion.
- September 9: Fall Exhibit Opening – Yuuga: Contemporary Botanical Watercolors from Japan and Moon-Viewing Ceremony in Japanese Garden 6 PM—9 PM , $9 pp, $7/Sonnenberg members.
- September 10 – October 18: Fall Exhibit – Yuuga: Contemporary Botanical Watercolors from Japan A Traveling Exhibit from the Hunt Institute for Botanical Documentation, a research division of Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The title Yuuga, which translates as “elegant, graceful and refined,” aptly describes these 35 original artworks by 29 artists. This exhibit represents a selection of the best contemporary botanical art produced in Japan in the last 40 years. Many of the artworks were added to the Hunt Institute’s collection from its International Exhibition of Botanical Art & Illustration, a triennial series that has occurred since 1964. Included with regular admission.
- September 18: Harvest Progressive Dinner “Eat your way around the Estate!” 5 PM or 6:30 PM Groupings, $55 pp, $50/Sonnenberg Member. Prepaid reservations required.
- October 21/22, 28/29: Mansion Mysteries 7 PM Live Drama, Cash Wine Bar, Light Refreshments, $22 pp, $18/Sonnenberg Member or ages 12-18. Prepaid reservations required.
- October 31: Last Day of 2011 Garden Season
- December 3: Holiday Tour of Homes 11 AM—4 PM , Advance: $22 pp, $25 pp on day of event
Location & Contact Info:
151 Charlotte Street
Canandaigua, NY, 14424